As we move towards the end of the year and with the economy showing signs of recovery, you may be planning to take on new workers in some capacity. Here are a few do’s and dont’s when taking on new people:
- make the recruit feel welcome
- prioritise training that will make the worker useful
- involve the recruit in productive activities as soon as possible
- give the recruit opportunities to succeed
- check their understanding of new information
- discuss progress and problems, and modify plans accordingly.
- make assumptions about the recruit’s knowledge, skills and attitude
- overload the recruit with too much at once
- rely on large quantities of written information
- expect the recruit to perform without adequate induction.